Photo

Make all walls 2 "buildings" thick

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bigheaded

Bigheaded

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

So this suggestion is pretty simple. All walls should be changed so that they are at least 2 buildings thick.

Reasons:
#1: Units are able to find entrances faster (for example, if you base at the tutorial area, units "sometimes" go round the back then come back and attack, by comparison, the 1 exit base north and east of the spawn area (very long area) has walls only 1 "building size" thick and gets a massive amount of stuff caught around it.
#2: Ranged units have a harder time picking off lumber mills in the back of your base, which does happen.

Disadvantages:
#1: Lots of work redoing the terrain
#2: blinking into bases becomes harder seeing you can't teleport onto walls.

the main reason not to do it though is it requires another rework of the fortress. The reason for doing so is quite significant as i have noticed a large difference when playing at the tutorial location (trojan immediately runs to the entrance as a simple example)

#2 Lt_Storm

Lt_Storm

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

couldn't you then have a problem with people blinking units on top wall?

#3 KILLAGUNFISH

KILLAGUNFISH

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

i dont think so if they make the top non terrain walkable if it is even slightly then it would be blinkable wall tops which most of the developers said that, that would be gone

#4 Bigheaded

Bigheaded

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (Lt_Storm @ Jun 18 2012, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
couldn't you then have a problem with people blinking units on top wall?

as killa mentioned, they stop this due to the walls layout (see screenshot).

By this suggestion i mean replacing thin walls such as this one:

As you can see, the top of the walls are roughly a finger length thick. Also, you will notice when playing, units will often move round the back of the base and various other areas around it.

My suggestion is to replace them all with this design of wall:

These are twice as thick and i've noticed a lot lot lot less mobs have trouble finding the entrance to this.

Hope i've clarified what i meant should it not have been very clear.

#5 Zer0o

Zer0o

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (Bigheaded @ Jun 19 2012, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as killa mentioned, they stop this due to the walls layout (see screenshot).

By this suggestion i mean replacing thin walls such as this one:

As you can see, the top of the walls are roughly a finger length thick. Also, you will notice when playing, units will often move round the back of the base and various other areas around it.

My suggestion is to replace them all with this design of wall:

These are twice as thick and i've noticed a lot lot lot less mobs have trouble finding the entrance to this.

Hope i've clarified what i meant should it not have been very clear.

Yea, I noticed that too. Im gonna ask Nevo if I get the permission to make the walls thicker biggrin.gif
Dont worry about blinkable walltops, Im gonna use the layout of the bottom picture.

#6 ishyrion

ishyrion

Private 2

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

making walls higher, or lower visibility of mobs would help too, but dunno with what is less work ;p

#7 AcediaPH

AcediaPH

Forum Spammer

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

I agree with making the cliffs higher so that enemy units won't get bugged. LOL. Or I think this bug is already fixed in the latest version?

#8 Jem

Jem

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:58 AM

I agree with making the cliffs higher so that enemy units won't get bugged. LOL. Or I think this bug is already fixed in the latest version?

I think it would still bug.

#9 AcediaPH

AcediaPH

Forum Spammer

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:05 AM

I think so. Maybe lowering the enemies' sight of vision so that they wouldn't get buggy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users