Photo

InstitutionaliZed Religion

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 yayformee

yayformee

Corporal

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

I'm telling you right now, THIS IS NOT A DEBATE WHETHER GOD EXISTS OR NOT.
I had to write this for English class and I though I might as well post it here.
Post your opinions on religion and the church and how they are good or bad for society.
Do not post your thoughts on god. Or else.

Institutionalized religion today is not healthy for humankind and should either drastically change or be completely removed. There is a lot of wrong done by religion every day. The fact that religion tricks us into believing, and hooks us into the system using wrong methods is plain sad. The resources are there. Religion has evolved since the biblical times to the medieval times, and then the progress abruptly stopped. God is supposed to be good. Why then is religion so evil? Getting into people’s lives, declaring their deeds the works of God, extremists, fanatics, and fundamentalists, ruin this world and take away from God. There is nothing wrong with the belief in God, but letting this belief influence governments and the decisions of people is just wrong.

The existence of a greater deity, “God”, has always been a mystery; religion is a system in which people worship God, and using tricks to bring people into the system does not help credibility. Religion uses the fear of hell or not being accepted into heaven to conscript new believers, and that seems immature. Fear mongering is easily broken by rational thinking. Just because religions have been practised for millennia does not mean that religion is correct or good. Many cults have been practicing their rituals for a long time before modern day religions came to be, and they were considered pagan and heretic, and were demolished by the new religions. Christianity often cites its number of believers as evidence of the truth of their beliefs, but fails to realize the absurdity of such a suggestion. Think no further than to the time when everyone believed the Earth was flat. Is the Earth flat though? All we have to do is cast a lure, and fish will be caught. With the amount of shiny lures of religion catching millions of human fish, the relief is that the rods are breaking after hundreds of years of work.

Religion is too restrictive and too demanding with its requirements to do completely the opposite of human nature. Celibacy is unnatural and pointless. If all that we are given is a gift from God, how is this worshipping him? Fasting at certain periods of the year is simply putting restraint upon yourself. It increases willpower, but lack of calories and nutrients damages the body and mind. Religious hermits are just wacco (excuse me for using childish terms). It is a peaceful lifestyle, true, but there is no place for it in today’s society. People hurt themselves for no reason at all. To know God you must know suffering, but how is that different from being human?

Many evil things have been done based on or using religion. The Spanish Inquisition was a blood bath. The government-based religious inquisitors burned people alive for not being catholic. The colonization of Africa and North America is an example when the good people believe they do actually isn’t good. The missionaries really thought they were saving the souls of the less fortunate, misguided, subhumans, when they were actually destroying age-old culture and traditions. The conflicts in Islamic countries and Rwanda show that even in the same religion, people can hate each other for miniscule differences and perform genocides and acts of terror based on this hate. A lot of senseless bloodshed has happened because or religious crazy people being a little too power-hungry.

False good is always worse than true evil. False good sees evil everywhere, including in the true good, and tries to fight it without realising that the end does not justify the means. What a cliché, so often used by the church itself. If a group of people used tricks to make you one of them, if they practiced ancient wastes of time, and had a history of prolonged bloodshed, would you join that group? God may or may not exist, but the way people go unstable when worshipping him is just not worth it. The church states its opinions in the CCC, but what do they do to make these things happen?

#2 duckne55

duckne55

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:44 AM

Institutionalized religion today is not healthy for humankind and should either drastically change or be completely removed. There is a lot of wrong done by religion every day. The fact that religion tricks us into believing, and hooks us into the system using wrong methods is plain sad. The resources are there. Religion has evolved since the biblical times to the medieval times, and then the progress abruptly stopped. God is supposed to be good. Why then is religion so evil? Getting into people’s lives, declaring their deeds the works of God, extremists, fanatics, and fundamentalists, ruin this world and take away from God. There is nothing wrong with the belief in God, but letting this belief influence governments and the decisions of people is just wrong.

The existence of a greater deity, “God”, has always been a mystery; religion is a system in which people worship God, and using tricks to bring people into the system does not help credibility. Religion uses the fear of hell or not being accepted into heaven to conscript new believers, and that seems immature. Fear mongering is easily broken by rational thinking. Just because religions have been practiced for millennia does not mean that religion is correct or good. Many cults have been practicing their rituals for a long time before modern day religions came to be, and they were considered pagan and heretic, and were demolished by the new religions. Christianity often cites its number of believers as evidence of the truth of their beliefs, but fails to realize the absurdity of such a suggestion. Think no further than to the time when everyone believed the Earth was flat. Is the Earth flat though? All we have to do is cast a lure, and fish will be caught. With the amount of shiny lures of religion catching millions of human fish, the relief is that the rods are breaking after hundreds of years of work.

Religion is too restrictive and too demanding with its requirements to do completely the opposite of human nature. Celibacy is unnatural and pointless. If all that we are given is a gift from God, how is this worshiping him? Fasting at certain periods of the year is simply putting restraint upon yourself. It increases willpower, but lack of calories and nutrients damages the body and mind. Religious hermits are just wacko (excuse me for using childish terms). It is a peaceful lifestyle, true, but there is no place for it in today’s society. People hurt themselves for no reason at all. To know God you must know suffering, but how is that different from being human?

Many evil things have been done based on or using religion. The Spanish Inquisition was a blood bath. The government-based religious inquisitors burned people alive for not being catholic. The colonization of Africa and North America is an example when the good people believe they do actually isn’t good. The missionaries really thought they were saving the souls of the less fortunate, misguided, subhumans, when they were actually destroying age-old culture and traditions. The conflicts in Islamic countries and Rwanda show that even in the same religion, people can hate each other for minuscule differences and perform genocides and acts of terror based on this hate. A lot of senseless bloodshed has happened because or religious crazy people being a little too power-hungry.

False good is always worse than true evil. False good sees evil everywhere, including in the true good, and tries to fight it without realising that the end does not justify the means. What a cliché, so often used by the church itself. If a group of people used tricks to make you one of them, if they practiced ancient wastes of time, and had a history of prolonged bloodshed, would you join that group? God may or may not exist, but the way people go unstable when worshiping him is just not worth it. The church states its opinions in the CCC, but what do they do to make these things happen?

spell checked for you tongue.gif

add in FSM and you are a winner.

#3 Balonator1992

Balonator1992

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

wow dude fight the power i love you!

#4 HammerDeDeath

HammerDeDeath

Imperfect Moderator

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

I see no problem with the Spaniards burning peeps cause they weren't catholic

#5 ElderKingpin

ElderKingpin

Grammar Nazi

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

If you mean a state church when you say "institutionalized church" just no. its failure. epic failure. (i didnt take the tine to actually read the posts)

Debates will be a new thing on this forum. If you guys cant handle debating without the flaming then you will have to ask the moderators permission to make a debate thread

#6 Balonator1992

Balonator1992

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:33 PM

He says its not a debate tho and hammer you just like to see people die so lol

#7 Brainneater

Brainneater

Brains...

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

People willingly become religious because of what they are taught when they are younger and/or they want to believe something happens to them, for better or worse, when they die. People are too scared to face the facts that we know today so they follow their religious beliefs, thinking that because of this there will be a heaven for them to go to when they die. They take the crap that has been around for decades instead of trying to find truth.

I agree with what you're saying, but there's no way to completely rid of religion. People will always go to it whether or not it's true or false, because they need something to believe in.

#8 yayformee

yayformee

Corporal

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:28 PM

So believe in God.
Just don't worship him.
How simple.

#9 Brainneater

Brainneater

Brains...

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

Good luck getting people to do that. What else will those people do with their lives??

#10 yayformee

yayformee

Corporal

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

Go onto forums and talk about FS?
Play WC3?
Actually do their homework?
LOL

#11 Brainneater

Brainneater

Brains...

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:58 PM

Sorry to tell you not everyone that's religious plays FS, WC3, and goes to school still :X.

#12 yayformee

yayformee

Corporal

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

Awwwww.....
Well at least the number of atheists is going up.
The number of priests is going up slower and slower.
The number of people who don't give a damn about going to church yet are christian, IS GOING UP.
All this from my religion textbook. They're being very sad about these facts. LOL

#13 Brainneater

Brainneater

Brains...

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:37 PM

pretty funny shit huh?

#14 duckne55

duckne55

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:58 AM

Who else here thinks religion/god is bullshit?

#15 Brainneater

Brainneater

Brains...

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

I personally don't give a shit. It's not worth my time to wonder about god and religion.

#16 yayformee

yayformee

Corporal

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:18 PM

Oh ok.
If you want to be god then stop spamming.
If you have nothing reasonable to say, don't post.

#17 Balonator1992

Balonator1992

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:27 PM

ohmy.gif thats so mean sad.gif and u want a meaningful response? u could just ask

God is just a figment of people imagnations that there is something greater out there that can take them away from the problems of earth. Every religion is this but it is also the guidelines the way people should act. Yayformee you say god does not exist but i say otherwise. i remembered my math teacher give a good point

"to make the earth you need the exact amount of every element to a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 ratio. How can this be chance?"

i Believe there is something out there that made us it may not be greater but there just has to be something like hell we could be like a science experiment.

#18 Brainneater

Brainneater

Brains...

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (yayformee @ Oct 14 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm telling you right now, THIS IS NOT A DEBATE WHETHER GOD EXISTS OR NOT.
I had to write this for English class and I though I might as well post it here.
Post your opinions on religion and the church and how they are good or bad for society.
Do not post your thoughts on god. Or else.

Balon you fail..

#19 ElderKingpin

ElderKingpin

Grammar Nazi

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

Ok. THIS ISNT A DEBATE WHETHER OR NOT GOD IS REAL, THE DEBATE IS WHETHER OR FREAKIN NOT, ITS A GOOD IDEA TO MAKE THE GOVERNMENT CONTROL WHO YOU WORSHIP (up there)

Like i said, no. The government fails at everything. People are doing fine with religion. People get pretty pissed off if you take away their ability to worship how you want, and when you want, where you want, and who you want to worship. If you take that away, you got half of America down your throat.

Not just Christians are in America. You got religions from all over. And if you take away the ability to choose, you got trouble, from all over.

Edited by ElderKingpin, 16 October 2009 - 07:01 PM.

#20 Brainneater

Brainneater

Brains...

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:12 PM

Elder how can you say that? Wars are caused mostly just because of religious conflicts.

We have trouble from all over because of religion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users