Photo

Things to help new player

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KeXi

KeXi

Corporal

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:40 PM

It's been talked a lot, for example in other threads. How to make game easier to aproach for new players? Fortress survival isn't easiest to get started with and if jumped into the middle of Eternia-run, game might be quickly over for new player, leaving him to spectate for the rest of the game. One might catch a thing or two from such a game, one might not.

Some ideas / suggestions, some of them combined from other tread, such as "http://fortress-survival.com/topic/182832-rank-bonuses/". Comments had a lot of ideas, but it started to slip away from the topic, so I made this thread for more discussion about getting this map more beginner-friendly (other than rank bonuses).

1) Individual practice-command

Maybe a rank 9 or lesser could use a specific command "-tutorial", "-practice" or so on (notification in very beginning of the game), a command which would give them an aura or something usefull that only they would benefit of. Like +30 armor aura which would only affect walls they own. %-dmg reduction (mentioned in the other thread) would on the other hand scale better towards late game. The cost of using such a command would be no experience gained, it would be purely learning matters. There could be other bonuses too, but how to make it so that there would be little to none abuse, such as giving some usefull items/lumber/gold for a friend which was reaching for achievement or such. Or just teambasing with a friend with no load and walling for him. One way could be to limit also mode for such purpose, easy-normal? If red picks nightmare, then it's again another case :huh:.

2) Tutorial cinema (command, -tutorial)

Would it be possible to have a tutorial-cinema that was played only for the player typing -turorial. It would happend in some room or area that none of players can enter, like this little "sealed" room in abandoned village, would just need little modification. Some 30-45s cinema with fast builded/placed walls, repair units, a set of built mills, transmute using alchemist and placing mills. Text explaning each move. ^_^ If I recall right, was there such a feature in FS before? Or maybe it was another map, it included typing -skip if player didn't wanns see it.

3) Tutorial room (command, -enter, -return)

How about a whole room sealed from the "real" fortress survival that everyone could enter to and return from, player could summon dummy-monsters to try walls out or practice lumbering or anything, a place where builder would be immortal and free to test anything in fast-build-mode, like warpten :lol:, such a mode was suggested too.

It would be super cool to have tutorial-challenges in such a room. Player was given unlimited time and some amount of lumber to set up the walls/repair/bots/auras/everything. When he thinks hes ready, he activates the challange "wave 1" and so. After a while it would become no-brainer to research armor and such. Maybe some wave included lumbering. Every failure could be reseted and tried again, maybe builder death could work as a reset there.

• Nevo, 12th Archivist and Executor Koranis like this

#2 bear_369

bear_369

Private 2

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:13 AM

I really like your idea KeXi!

They should suppose to replaced their old "tutorial" in the game. It's still pretty useful for newbies but it's old now.

I think that the commands would only work if the Host would allowed to.

But I was wondering something? Where they'll put the Tutorial room? Outside the map or something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users