Photo

Replay file error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mv1990

mv1990

Staff Sergeant

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:11 AM

This is a relatively old problem, and I just want to ask if there's any solution to this. To me, this is as annoying as application file crash and not able to find it in Log subfolder...

The replay file sometimes breaks down, showing us "fake" replay. If someone is bored enough to search for old contest replays, there are some that do the same thing which their video and replay don't match (same game but has problem with replay). It's not easy for me to concentrate on playing for contest, take screen shots, and record at the same time, so I often do those afterward. Now, I cannot prove that I have finished the game if replay has problem, and the strange thing is that replay can show us what we didn't do ... My attached replay for example: If I did die like the replay showed me, the Unknown would have stopped spawning.

I would like to know if there's any sort of file recover software that could help? If not I'll have to develop habit to take screen shot during the game.

Attached Files

#2 Nevo

Nevo

Webmaster

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:22 AM

There is no recovery software that you could use to help with that unfortunately.

#3 SoulSurvivor

SoulSurvivor

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

I'm not 100% sure what your question here is but the trouble with replays usually has

to do with Donators with Token protection being in the game.  It will break the replay...

Unless you have everybodies Token, in which case the replay views fine.

Unfortunately this can not be fixed in any way so just try to find replays without

Token Protection. ;)

#4 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

a replay is basically a list of the commands people gave during the game and the timings, then when you watch the replay effectively a new game is made and runs as tho people did the exact same things.

this works fine in most cases (and makes replay files tiny, which was a really important thing 10 years ago..) but it relies on a lot of things remaining unchanged.

(the map file for example, also some files on the hard drive, the donator protection files that are present in the respective players computer at the time of the actual game but absent on the computer of the person watching the replay cause fundemental assumptions of the replay system to be violated thus the result is undefined)

there is no simple fix for this, altho it is possible to have somebody who posesses all the necessary tokens to watch the replay and make an actual video file for you. this is one of the reasons we like contest replays to be posted as youtube links.

(also if you really want a DIY solution u can prolly extract the tokens from the map file with a bit of time, it'd be a big pain but it might be fun if ur in to that kind of thing :P)

• Nevo and mv1990 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users