Photo

A few comments on the Assassin and a few other things

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 12th Archivist

12th Archivist

Corporal

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:25 AM

In my opinion, the new assassin hero is... interesting. If he's properly geared and played, he's an absolute monster who kills bosses in seconds and other monsters in single-digit frames. But if he's in the hands of a newbie, he goes down faster than those poor heroes standing in front of the Basement Passage on nightmare mode. This dichotomy makes sense: the assassin is unlocked only when the player reaches rank 40, so he should be pretty good at handling melee units by now. He's a great hero all-around, especially if you're into high-risk, high-reward decisions.

But I think there are a few things that could be tweaked to make the assassin a little less frustrating, especially at the lower levels:

• The Unholy Aura ability should have five ranks (up from three) that restore 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 HP/sec. I argue this because without a liberal use of blinking, wind walk, and adrenaline, he can't stand up to anything. He relies entirely on regenerating HP and killing his enemies before they kill him; he's by no means a tank. This isn't a problem for a skilled player, but a player can't micromanage the assassin while also handling upgrades and lumbering (at least, I certainly can't, but I'm by no means a skilled player). So, a bit more HP regen in the early parts of the game might mitigate some of his squishiness. 100 HP/sec won't make him invulnerable to anything but maybe, maybe Abyssal Grak, but it will give the player a bit more leeway with blinking him out of danger when times get tough.
  • Unholy Aura's movement speed increase is certainly nice, but having it increasing armor instead would also make the hero less squishy in the early game. Offering 3 armor per rank might be a good balance.
  • The Critical Strike tooltip seems incorrect. At rank five it should give only a 5% chance to get a critical strike, but the assassin seems to critically strike way more often than that. I would recommend changing the tooltip to saying it gives 5% per rank, culminating in a 25% chance at rank five. 25% seems to be much closer to what he gets.
  • The Vampirism tooltip had the misspell "procentage".

Unrelated stuff:

• When Mr. Shinkle offers his quest, he should ask "Will you help me and my dog?", just to be grammatically correct. (Yes, I'm a total stickler for that sort of thing.)
  • The Brigadier General does not have a little box next to his armor type. The rank of his Plated Armor upgrade is just a floating number.
  • The Tower Mechanics upgrade has an inconsistent tooltip. Its first rank says it upgrades attack speed by 0.5%, but its next rank says it upgrades by 10%, and all ranks after it increase attack speed by another 5% each. The upgrade caps out at 20 ranks, so if each rank increased attack speed by 5%, I think it would be balanced well enough.
  • Cursed Armor does not seem to provide the 800 HP/sec regeneration like it promises. I smell a conspiracy...
  • Since Health Stones give 200 HP/sec individually, and the Super Health Stone gives 24,000 HP (four times 6000 HP), it makes sense that it would also give 800 HP/sec regeneration (four times 200 HP/sec).
  • The Sludge Queen tower deals 1000 damage per shot, but so does the tower it upgrades from (I can't remember the name). To follow the pattern, the tower it upgrades from should do 800 damage per shot. Changing this also prevents the Sludge Queen from being obsolete (since it has the same stats as its predecessor -- it's a complete waste of lumber to upgrade to the Queen).
  • I'm glad Sheep of Rage got a buff. It was a laughably weak boss before, but now it has some bite to it! If you could give the same treatment to Tyura, that'd be great... She is, by far, the easiest boss in the game to take down. And as the penultimate boss, she's a complete letdown. If her magic shield ability protected her from more than 30,000 damage (I'm thinking at least 150,000), and if her damage output was about twice was it is now, she'd be at least somewhat threatening. Going a bit wild, giving her a Mirror Image ability (and each clone deals 100% damage) would also make her substantially tougher.
  • Cursed Arthas sucks!
  • The Nature's Spirit unit and tooltip need an apostrophe.
  • The Basic Help quest still refers to the Survivor being able to switch between build menus.
  • Defiled Marines don't benefit from Combat Training or Advanced Life Armor. I'm guessing this is probably intentional, but if so, I don't know why they keep spawning when all the Demonic X units get so much stronger.

I think that's all for now. I might come back if I missed anything. Goodnight, everybody!

#2 AzZ

AzZ

The Legendary.

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

Unholy Aura's movement speed increase is certainly nice, but having it increasing armor instead would also make the hero less squishy in the early game. Offering 3 armor per rank might be a good balance.

That would be way too much armor. If it gave 3 armor for lvl, once the hero reached lvl99, it would have nearly 300 armor only from it. If you also bought cursed armor, the hero would be able to tank anything!

The Critical Strike tooltip seems incorrect. At rank five it should give only a 5% chance to get a critical strike, but the assassin seems to critically strike way more often than that. I would recommend changing the tooltip to saying it gives 5% per rank, culminating in a 25% chance at rank five. 25% seems to be much closer to what he gets.

Yes, the tooltip is wrong. The critical strike on the melee hero is 50% change of dealing 5 times the damage, not 5%

Cursed Armor does not seem to provide the 800 HP/sec regeneration like it promises. I smell a conspiracy...

It was reported by someone that the regeneration on this item wasnt working on all units. For the next version, the regen has been taken away, and the item improved on other ares to compensate.

• Black Armor Improvements:
    - Armor Bonus Increased from 32 to 40 Armor
    - Health Bonus Increased from 6000 to 10,000
    - 200 Health Per Second Regeneration Removed
  • Cursed Armor Improvements:
    - Armor Bonus Increased from 128 to 160 Armor
    - Health Bonus Increased from 24,000 to 40,000
    - 200 Health Per Second Regeneration Removed

I'm glad Sheep of Rage got a buff. It was a laughably weak boss before, but now it has some bite to it! If you could give the same treatment to Tyura, that'd be great... She is, by far, the easiest boss in the game to take down. And as the penultimate boss, she's a complete letdown. If her magic shield ability protected her from more than 30,000 damage (I'm thinking at least 150,000), and if her damage output was about twice was it is now, she'd be at least somewhat threatening. Going a bit wild, giving her a Mirror Image ability (and each clone deals 100% damage) would also make her substantially tougher.

Agreed! Considering its one of the last bosses, it should be way stronger to pose an actual treat.

Cursed Arthas sucks!

He doesnt! Hes actually strong. You can't go on improving all the bosses and difficulty, because even if you have it easy, theres a big majority of players who don't. Even if you consider boosting the boss only for nightmare mode, theres a lot of players who struggle to beat this mode. If  we keep making it harder beause some more skilled players think its easy, that would be unfair to others.

#3 shtroumf

shtroumf

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

Good Job

For Arthas is not that bad, i see a lot player dying to him because they stop upgrading armor at some point in the game, for the critical strike i have say it since the begining that 50% is too good, it should be 20% like ranged hero max 25% maybe and 4 time dmg, this hero is way too good right now i dont see him often because hes rank 40 but he his way too op and some people left the game frustated because of other players completly ruinning the game with him (by kiling everything that spawn), he kill things in seconds and can tank so he dont need more armor, maybe its more difficult to do it at nightmare, but nightmare is only one of the mode, most people still play normal-mad and impo

#4 ShootingStars

ShootingStars

Private 2

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:27 PM

Cursed Arthus is not bad at all.. I always see him raping walls to players with wall armors not high enough..  :P

Gotta agree with Tyura being too easy.. She totally can't even scratch the walls since I always have lv18+ wall armor by that time. And she always dies within seconds due to the blast staff after her shield goes down.. Maybe change her attack type from normal to seige and a major hp buff.. 

Also another thing to add.. remove the damn delay when switching vendor tabs.. It is totally bs and I don't see any reason for it to be there.. Have seen many people lose due to that delays in a crucial moment..

#5 Nevo

Nevo

Webmaster

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:05 PM

In response to modifying Tyura, 

- Attack CD reduced from 0.35 to 0.25
- Attack increased from 13499 to 19999
- Attack Type changed from Normal to Pierce
- Health Points increased from 39500 to 59500
- Defense Base increased from 145 to 155

The Vendor Tabs have a delay because they are switching different units. It depends on your hardware and connection if you experience a slight delay.

#6 ShootingStars

ShootingStars

Private 2

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:17 AM

Pierce attack :o

The thing about the delay on vendors is everybody is experiencing it.. if it is because due to switching units, then why there is no delay when switching tabs on command center and mercenary tent? (Sorry if I sound rude)

#7 12th Archivist

12th Archivist

Corporal

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:01 AM

I find people's reactions to my "Cursed Arthas sucks!" comment funny. I wasn't saying he was too easy and needed to be buffed; actually quite the opposite. Trojan hits for 13,000 damage pretty quickly. Cursed Arthas, however, deals 23,000 damage a hit almost just as fast. If Trojan hits like a truck, Arthas hits like a freight train. He also has a lot of armor and just as much health as Trojan and almost as much health as Najort. While he's easy enough to take down if your hero has Cursed Larceny or Magma Fist, he still feels tougher than the final boss. I'd love to see his damage or attack speed or armor taken down a bit, just so he's a bit more on-par with Radioactive Worm and Tyura. Again, nerfing Arthas isn't as important as buffing Tyura, and I see lots of people dealing with him just fine, so maybe it doesn't need to happen.

I don't know how the damage and armor types work in FS versus vanilla WCIII, but wouldn't changing Tyura's damage type to piercing actually make her worse at damage walls? I was thinking that giving her siege damage would help her more. But again, I don't know, and maybe piercing damage is actually effective against fortified armor.

To AzZ: I meant that Unholy Aura would give 3 armor per ability rank, not per level. With all five ranks, the assassin would have 100 HP/sec regen and 15 bonus armor.

#8 englocked

englocked

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

The thing about the delay on vendors is everybody is experiencing it.. if it is because due to switching units, then why there is no delay when switching tabs on command center and mercenary tent? (Sorry if I sound rude)

Because it takes time to re-select a user. It's quite annoying but it's a wc3 mechanism I'm afraid. 

I'm also skeptical about changing Tyura's damage to piercing.

#9 Ethaw

Ethaw

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:44 AM

Tyura before/after:

Damage Cooldown raw DPS Weapon DPS @ fortified
13499 0.35 38568.57143 normal 26998
19999 0.25 79996 piercing 27998.6
  Ratio 2.074124009 Ratio 1.037062005

So basically, her damage won't change in the current 6.53 beta, on walls. The weapon type change to piercing gives the same damage at the end. But Nevo likes to modify armor/weapon types :D

However she will be more tanky than before.

For the custom ratio used by FSA:

http://fortress-survival.com/topic/182709-armor-and-weapon-types-of-fsa/#entry194853

ps: sorry for the horrible html table, that's what I get with a ctrl v and too lazy to edit that