Photo

A more practical hotkey to build Lumber Mills

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Making Lumber Mills Hotkey More Practical (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Change Lumber Mill " L " Hotkey

1. Keep Hotkey = L (7 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

2. Modify Hotkey = B (10 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Modify Hotkey = U (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. Use positional hotkeys (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 englocked

englocked

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

Since it is by far the most built building in the game, I think its hotkey should be the most accessible. "B" instead of "L" would be best I think.

Edited by Waffle(est), 01 June 2015 - 12:06 PM.
added 4th poll option

#2 Nevo

Nevo

Webmaster

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:31 AM

I have modified your Topic into a Poll so that we can get more feedback regarding this matter.  ;)

• englocked likes this

#3 ant1000123

ant1000123

Private 2

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:13 PM

why U?

L= lumber mill (so the 1st letter L)

B = because build is hotkey for build so just need to press B,B

but U ? i don't get it

#4 Nevo

Nevo

Webmaster

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:47 PM

why U?

L= lumber mill (so the 1st letter L)

B = because build is hotkey for build so just need to press B,B

but U ? i don't get it

U was an option because its closer to the main keys, easier to press and isn't being used by anything else in the Build Menu. There is also a U present in the word Lumber.

#5 ant1000123

ant1000123

Private 2

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

thanks

#6 Ethaw

Ethaw

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:49 AM

But U isn't very practical (ok, more than L, but still too far - however B can be pressed without moving the hand ^^).

Anyway, good suggestion, I voted for B (and I wonder what masochist voted U - must be Nevo :D)

#7 BlueBerryMuffin

BlueBerryMuffin

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:26 AM

I think it should all be just where the placement of the building is in the build menu. This would involve moving some placements around but I think it would be the best way to go. B+Q for Tower, B+W for barricade, B+E for Energy wall, B+A for Aura, B+S for book shelves, B+F For Factory, B+C for Command Center, So That leaves D,Z, and X for Lumber mill, Merc Tent, and Item Vendor, I think B+D Would be best for lumber mill, and the other 2 could be anywhere.

Something like this: http://imgur.com/Uj3tfJb

Edit: B+Q Could also work for lumber mill swapping lumber mills and towers.

#8 Ethaw

Ethaw

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

I thought about it as well, it would be a much better solution (but it will require some extra work, so I didn't even propose that since even simpler tasks are not yet done).
I actually have a remapping of default bindings with a similar setup (but it only works well with melee maps/units obviously :/ )

#9 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:05 AM

If you're going to arrange buildong keys by the placement qwer/asdf/zxcv-style.. then surely this should apply to everything, even the building hotkey B itself should turn in to sth like Z..

if you have half based on placement and half on mnemonics thats asking for hurts.

the idea is a reasonable one tho..

#10 BlueBerryMuffin

BlueBerryMuffin

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

Well not everything fits into it perfectly. Many of the hotkeys are not changed because that would be the best spot for them. I just rearranged them on the build menu to show where they would go. Alot of games have hotkeys built like this. B is always the standard because it is the spot where the thumb is and making it z would be horrible to build with.

#11 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:59 AM

but you cant have hafl of the things be qwer-style and others be mnemonics.. that will just be rly confusing..

#12 ShootingStars

ShootingStars

Private 2

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

i would really like it to be changed to B..  :)  since you can just press B 2x which is wayyy faster..

#13 BlueBerryMuffin

BlueBerryMuffin

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:59 PM

They are all still on the qwer-asdf-zxcv. I don't see how they are confusing. Some just happen to be mnemonics as well. Part of my suggestion is to move some buildings around in the build menu to fit the schematic.

#14 bi_a_op

bi_a_op

Private 2

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:57 AM

Those who vote for keeping L are just players who don't like changes and are scared of too many changes and probably voted for two build menus a while back. I see no reason to keep L when it can be somewhere more practical. In my opinion they should be QWER, ASDF and ZXC. There's nothing more simple strategic than that. #SayNoToSpreadOutHotkeys

#15 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

***added 4th option to poll for those who think positional hotkeys should be a thing in fortress survival***

#16 Ethaw

Ethaw

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:29 AM

We need to make another topic with this new poll option; adding your 4th option to a poll in which most players already have voted won't give relevant results.

Btw, I see no reason why we shouldn't implement positional hotkeys, it's just a matter of time and priorities imho.

#17 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:30 PM

it was one of the most asked for invariants as far as i can tell yet it was impossible to even vote for that.. i think it was badly needed.

..tho you might be right it might be a good idea to reset the poll so it gets equal exposure to older options..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users