Extended inventory

inventory extended

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

Theres been a bit of commotion lately about the lack of inventory space on the builder and need for more. and theres been quite a few suggestions on the skype chat..

but skype is horrible if u want to find stuff SO

Any suggestions how u invision this could work.. dump em here! :)

please 1 topic per suggestion.

please describe the usage.

bonus points for dealing with any iffy spots.

will be a vote later on so if you can express yourself clearly it will help towards getting ur system picked.

also if you can provide an actual implementation (that doesnt suck ofc :P ) that gets a point or few advantage cuz im lazy :P

Suggestions thus far (preliminary list, some seem really similar tho maybe should merge a few later):

#2 AzZ

AzZ

The Legendary.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

My suggestion is a Backpack.

It works that way:

By clicking on the Backpack, you can then click on any item on the floor, and it will pick it up.

If you select any unit with an item, right-click any item on a slot and then left-click on the Backpack icon, the item will be transferred.

The map which i know this feature from, doesn't allow you to combine items inside it. Ex: combine Cursed Lacerny or Super health stone

It would be for the Developers to sort it out. Also, I dont know if it would be possible to select it directly from the vendor and buy items on it.

Another question for the Devs.

That gives a general idea of the how it works.

• Pros
    • It's clean, there would be no risk of theft.
    • It would be really usefull to store/manage items along the game.
    • With the backpack, the survivor would start with the normal 4 items from the code, and could also have 2 more from contests or donator stuffs.
    • That way, you wouldn't need to pass back the most basic items back to the survivor, in case it were all spawned on another unit/building.
    • Its not a real unit. Its just a bag up there as an icon, so you wouldn't  need to move around another unit with items.
    • Its universal, you can click on any unit within the map and give the items to it.
  • Cons
    • Only downside is that theres only 6 slots, so I think would be necessary 2 for some people, as they are already with almost 12 items.

Only by being a donator and having won 5 contests a player would be able to have 12 items. I think no one has accomplished that yet.

2 Backpacks would allow a player to hold 18 items(6 each + 6 on the survivor).

Since we are far from that number, I think the backpack is a good solution and if more room is needed, would just be the case to add another one.

It wouldn't be a problem having 2 or 3 of them, since the only change on the game would be the icons below the hero which is actually cool :P

Here's an example:

On the 1st pic, theres one Backpack and on the 2sd theres four

Attached File  wc3scrnshot_122114_194406_01.jpg   130.99KB   0 downloadsAttached File  wc3scrnshot_122214_013106_01.jpg   304.59KB   0 downloads

#3 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:59 PM

<work in progress>

Im thinking bout a solution that would not involve another system..

eg some invisible stash and a set of commands to interact with it.

• pros
    • easy to implement
    • no capacity limit (well maybe like 500 or sth but thats as good as infinity for most purposes)
    • no need to juggle between 2 units to do item management.
    • (depends on implementation) could directly send-receive items from any unit with inventory. eg u can take stuff from stash and give to hero.
    • don't have to stop unit activities to use. eg can send items to stash while worker is building ur mill formation.
  • cons
    • some people are not commfortable with text based interfaces
    • may take a bit of time to get used to it.
    • effectively locks out non-english-speaking people (we dont support non-english people anyway unlike some other maps.. but it may carry some weight)

<TODO> example specification 

• -stash put <unitslotnumber>
    • where <unitslotnumber> is the number of the slot on the currently selected unit. item is removed from unit and put in the stash.
  • -stash get <stashslotnumber>
    • where <stashslotnumber> is the number of the slot where the item is stored in the stash, is removed from stash and added to the currently selected unit inventory.
  • -stash list
    • lists all current players items in stash. along with slot numbers and charges.

#4 SoulSurvivor

SoulSurvivor

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:48 PM

I dunno how possible it is but if all the contest items would = 1 item that somehow turns into 6 new items (replaces the inventory) for contest items that way my load code stuffs won't drop at start and I'd have 1 special contest item that would turn into the others that don't fit into my inventory.   I dunno if I make much sensish...   I wouldn't mind a way to expand inventory as well so I have more slots but i think is rather unessisary and hate to see a unit trollin' my builder around all game just for an extra 6 slots I probably wont use

#5 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:00 PM

I dunno how possible it is but if all the contest items would = 1 item that somehow turns into 6 new items (replaces the inventory) for contest items that way my load code stuffs won't drop at start and I'd have 1 special contest item that would turn into the others that don't fit into my inventory.   I dunno if I make much sensish...   I wouldn't mind a way to expand inventory as well so I have more slots but i think is rather unessisary and hate to see a unit trollin' my builder around all game just for an extra 6 slots I probably wont use

ehm.. you are not allowed to hate unless you offer a better alternative.

the all-my-items-item is not a good one cuz once u use it u still have more than 6 items and then ur stuck having to manage them.
eg u wanna use a contest item ud have to expand but u dont have hero yet.. u so screwed..

#6 Nevo

Nevo

Webmaster

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:02 PM

My Suggestion is a Hovering Unit that will be known as the Vault.

• Items loaded by code will still spawn in the Builder (max 4 items exist)
  • Will be able to Summon all remaining Donator Items
  • Can feature multiple pages for many Donator items (spellbook)
  • Vault will be summoned by an ability all Donator Builders will receive
  • Will have a 6 Slot Inventory with Item Management (can send item to any unit)
  • All items in 6 slot Inventory will transfer over to new summoned unit (if unit dies or if ability is used to summon new unit)
  • All Donator Items can only be acquired via Vault, they will not spawn in your builder!

#7 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:21 PM

• Unit dedicated to summoning all your items
  • A spellbook type vendor would allow you to have multiple pages if required
  • A 6 slot inventory which all your summoned items will go to
  • Item Management to send your items to your choice of unit
  • Can have windwalk or be hovering so it doesn't take up any space
  • All Load Code Items will still spawn to builder, this will only feature donator items

of those only the following seem to be something id put as "pros", u cant just say random stuff and say its a pro cuz its your system.

• All Load Code Items will still spawn to builder, this will only feature donator items

also "Unit dedicated to summoning all your items" and "All Load Code Items will still spawn to builder, this will only feature donator items" seem to be in conflict ..

#8 AzZ

AzZ

The Legendary.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:24 PM

<TODO> example specification 

• -stash put <unitslotnumber>
    • where <unitslotnumber> is the number of the slot on the currently selected unit. item is removed from unit and put in the stash.
  • -stash get <stashslotnumber>
    • where <stashslotnumber> is the number of the slot where the item is stored in the stash, is removed from stash and added to the currently selected unit inventory.
  • -stash list
    • lists all current players items in stash. along with slot numbers and charges.

This is a good idea, but how would it actually solve the issue?

I mean, as the survivors spawn, would the donator items already start on the stash, or would we have to do it manually?

My point is, if we have to do it ourselves, then it would slow us down a little. having to type your code at the beginning so the items show up and some drop in the floor.

Stash one by one to then claim a base and start playing.

In my opnion, this is a good way of managing the items in general through the game, but it's not very effective in the beginning of the game.

#9 Nevo

Nevo

Webmaster

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

• Unit dedicated to summoning all your items
  • A 6 slot inventory which all your summoned items will go to

of those only the following seem to be something id put as "pros", u cant just say random stuff and say its a pro cuz its your system.

also "Unit dedicated to summoning all your items" and "All Load Code Items will still spawn to builder, this will only feature donator items" seem to be in conflict ..

You get the point though! It's a system that will work very well.

#10 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:32 PM

This is a good idea, but how would it actually solve the issue?

I mean, as the survivors spawn, would the donator items already start on the stash, or would we have to do it manually?

My point is, if we have to do it ourselves, them it would slow us down a little. having to type your code at the beginning. Stash one by one and then claim a base and start playing.

In my opnion, this is a good way of managing the items in general through the game, but it's not very effective in the beginning of the game.

thats still up for discussion.

one choice would be just put everything in stash..  (that could be bad cuz ppl who dont knowq hot to use stash will be confused)

or we could like give first 5 items on the builder and everything beyond that to the stash.

then u could like load stuff and all and not worry about losing stuff. without messing up the noobw who dont yet have a lot of items.

(theres ofc more possibilities, what would you prefer?)

You get the point though! It's a system that will work very well.

Vault unit being like angel arena all stars style thing that sits in your base or some place off to the side?
yeah i get the idea. it would work. it's a valid proposal.

was just saying.. you should separate the description of what your proposed system would be like from the cost/benefit analysys side of things.

also "A spellbook type vendor would allow you to.."  bit. i think that's a CON because you need to lob on another system so u can get past the 6 item limit.

#11 Nevo

Nevo

Webmaster

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:36 PM

Yes but without spellbooks, we wouldn't be able to offer the vendor, command center, and many other concepts found in the current version which is why using the same system for that would be totally acceptable considering the benefits.

Also, here are some options regarding the spawning of the unit...

• It can be spawned in the start automatically
  • It can be spawned by a command
  • It can be spawned by an item
  • It can be spawned by an ability

If the auto-spawn is a bad idea considering the unit can die. Offering an ability to spawn it would offer users a way to always get their items provided their builder is alive. It would also summon the vault next to your builder so you wouldn't have to worry about having that unit follow you. One complication with this is when your vault would die, it would drop all your items... So what if you wanted to summon it via ability because it was so far away... we would have to make a way for all items to transfer to the new summoned unit.

#12 Ibaku

Ibaku

Private 2

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:54 PM

add to command center

-add another page into the command center in which to access the rewards based on your code?

-if you already have the command center reward then you can instantly build the command center and get access 

-or give everyone (that has over 6 achiev) the option to build a command center (CC reward)

-instead of being able to just store it anywhere you have the page dedicated to achievements 

-granted with the CC most wait until later in the game to gain access/not viable for early game UNLESS have the CC reward

-takes time to build/waste research time

i think it would be an easier implementation to just add to something that is already existing vice creating a whole new unit to implement into the game (granted i could and probably am wrong). but its just a idea.

• Waffle(est) likes this

#13 AzZ

AzZ

The Legendary.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:57 PM

thats still up for discussion.

one choice would be just put everything in stash..  (that could be bad cuz ppl who dont knowq hot to use stash will be confused)

or we could like give first 5 items on the builder and everything beyond that to the stash.

then u could like load stuff and all and not worry about losing stuff. without messing up the noobw who dont yet have a lot of items.

(theres ofc more possibilities, what would you prefer?)

Vault unit being like angel arena all stars style thing that sits in your base or some place off to the side?
yeah i get the idea. it would work. it's a valid proposal.

was just saying.. you should separate the description of what your proposed system would be like from the cost/benefit analysys side of things.

also "A spellbook type vendor would allow you to.."  bit. i think that's a CON because you need to lob on another system so u can get past the 6 item limit.

This one makes it better! If one(donators) could start with the 4 load code items and one or 2 items of his choosing and everything else already stashed, this would make it way better.

#14 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

Yes but without spellbooks, we wouldn't be able to offer the vendor, command center, and many other concepts found in the current version which is why using the same system for that would be totally acceptable considering the benefits.

Also, here are some options regarding the spawning of the unit...

• It can be spawned in the start automatically
  • It can be spawned by a command
  • It can be spawned by an item
  • It can be spawned by an ability

If the auto-spawn is a bad idea considering the unit can die. Offering an ability to spawn it would offer users a way to always get their items provided their builder is alive. It would also summon the vault next to your builder so you wouldn't have to worry about having that unit follow you. One complication with this is when your vault would die, it would drop all your items... So what if you wanted to summon it via ability because it was so far away... we would have to make a way for all items to transfer to the new summoned unit.

you didn't say it would be vulnerable.  this is a very important consideration and should have been noted.
you didn't say it would be a unit, i assumed it would be a static building.

you didn't say it would be following you around.

you didn't say the user would have to worry about creating it.

please update your post to explain the mechanics of how this would actually work..
like use cases or something..
"vault unit" means jack shit and you have no description.
i just realized after like half a forum thread i still have no idea what your system is meant to be like :'(

also pros-const is a extra to to help with voting. it does not replace a description of how it would work.

there is no efinition of "valult unit" or "backback".. theres all sorts of maps and they all implement it differently..

please everybody if you make a suggestion make sure to provide a clean thorough description of how it would actually work.
else its woting who likes the word "backback" over "item vault" or something something.. :'(

#15 AzZ

AzZ

The Legendary.

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

add to command center

-add another page into the command center in which to access the rewards based on your code?

-if you already have the command center reward then you can instantly build the command center and get access 

-or give everyone (that has over 6 achiev) the option to build a command center (CC reward)

-instead of being able to just store it anywhere you have the page dedicated to achievements 

-granted with the CC most wait until later in the game to gain access/not viable for early game UNLESS have the CC reward

-takes time to build/waste research time

i think it would be an easier implementation to just add to something that is already existing vice creating a whole new unit to implement into the game (granted i could and probably am wrong). but its just a idea.

That would be rly cool, but also ineffective at the start. Since I assume people won't be given the Command Center item, they will have to build it, in order to get access to their items.

That would be a normal thing for non-donator players, but everyone who has custom heros, usually make their Command Center a little later, since they dont need it to get hero.

My point is, in general, it would make demanding having a Command Center right after the game start, and thats not good.

you didn't say it would be vulnerable.  this is a very important consideration and should have been noted.
you didn't say it would be a unit, i assumed it would be a static building.

you didn't say it would be following you around.

you didn't say the user would have to worry about creating it.

please update your post to explain the mechanics of how this would actually work..
like use cases or something..
"vault unit" means jack shit and you have no description.
i just realized after like half a forum thread i still have no idea what your system is meant to be like :'(

also pros-const is a extra to to help with voting. it does not replace a description of how it would work.

there is no efinition of "valult unit" or "backback".. theres all sorts of maps and they all implement it differently..

please everybody if you make a suggestion make sure to provide a clean thorough description of how it would actually work.
else its woting who likes the word "backback" over "item vault" or something something.. :'(

I didnt explained much mine, because I posted a picture as an example, and it's self-explaining

But I will edit and explain how it works :P

#16 sentinel_owning

sentinel_owning

Private 2

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:37 AM

I will vote for Nevo suggestion. There is really no need for complicated things like typing "stash etc", spellbooks, command center, etc, since it is just a starting item and it will make the game more lag.

Pros

• Easier to get the items unlike waffle suggestion that you will type stash something just to get the items and it is more complicated.
  • Better idea than putting the items in the command center. And instant build command center is too op. You also need the place the lumber mill items early.
  • Better idea than AzZ suggestion since you don't need the backpack now after you used all the donator item.

#17 AzZ

AzZ

The Legendary.

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:43 AM

I will vote for Nevo suggestion. There is really no need for complicated things like typing "stash etc", spellbooks, command center, etc, since it is just a starting item and it will make the game more lag.

Pros

• Easier to get the items unlike waffle suggestion that you will type stash something just to get the items and it is more complicated.
  • Better idea than putting the items in the command center. And instant build command center is too op. You also need the place the lumber mill items early.
  • Better idea than AzZ suggestion since you don't need the backpack now after you used all the donator item.

The Backpack is actually simpler and you dont neet to move it around. The downside, and I acknowledge, is that it will be necessary more than one.

Mine offers a bettter management of your items through the game. it won't be necessary let items on the ground or pick it up with random units, you can just trow it on the backpack. 

Waffle's offers the same thing, but for ppl unused to the code system, it could be a little hard to get used to it.

#18 BlueBerryMuffin

BlueBerryMuffin

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:06 AM

Hi I have an idea. How about making the vault a building that is really far away and you would have to "call"(spawn) the item. Kinda like how the secret barrels drop from the air and it has a parachute and lowers the item you call. This would probably take a few seconds longer but it is aesthetically the most reasonable thing to do in my opinion. It would be a building that was far away and of course have no vision and is invulnerable. There are already those farms in the bottom right of the map. They could be repurposed to do it if they aren't doing anything.

#19 Krehara

Krehara

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:13 AM

One possibility... how about a mini vendor item that the builder starts with? You could let the 4 items earned in game still spawn on the builder, but all of the donation/contest items could be put in the vendor menu. As an added bonus, you can write in the tooltips how to unlock each item, which could make people more aware of the site and community. As we fill out the mini vendor, we could add extra pages to it for new items.

#20 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:58 AM

Im getting the impression that everybody is basically giving variations on 1 or 2 basic systems so...

some examples to help stir your imagination :)

http://www.hiveworks...ventory-159130/

http://wc3.nibbits.c...tory-system-01a

http://www.epicwar.com/maps/232360/

.. might add a few more if i stumble across sth interesting..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users