Warcraft basics that can be helpful

Grouping units Queuing Commands

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 oufo

oufo

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

ok .. so here are some of the basics of warcraft that i believe can be helpful in improving the skill level of FSA players :) .. 

okay !! lets start by this .. 

Idle Worker (Peon)
The number of any Idle Workers that exist in the field is displayed by an icon in the lower left-hand side of the main view screen, above the minimap. Clicking this icon will automatically select and cycle through your idle workers. Pressing the F8 key also achieves the same function

i think this is well known so i will leave it at that.. :)

Selecting Multiple Units

In addition to dragging a box around multiple units to select more than one unit, you can select multiple units of the same type by holding the Ctrl key and left-clicking on one unit. You can also select multiple units of the same type by double-clicking on a unit. All other units on the screen of the same type will be selected.

This one is useful at game start .. for example when i claim the security room .. i like to put units with shorter attackrange ifnront and longer in back .. and meleee way ahead

Now to more Useful Basics :P

Control Groups
Managing an army in the thick of battle can be a burdensome endeavor. In a particularly large skirmish, it might be hard to find your troops and select them with the mouse. To better manage your armies, you can organize them into command groups. You can have up to 12 units in a group. Once you have formed a group, you can set it to a number by pressing Ctrl plus a number key from 0 to 9. If you need to recall that group again, you can press the number corresponding to that group. Pressing the number key twice in quick succession centers your view on the group.

By assigning a control group to your Town Hall or Great Hall, you can quickly center on your town by pressing the group key twice. It also allows you to quickly select the building and begin training a new worker. For example, if you have a Town Hall set to group 1, you can press 1 then P to train a new Peasant without pulling your attention away from whatever you're currently doing.

This is extremely useful .. if u control the walls then Use Ctrl+1 .. everytime u press 1  .. u will find the walls is selected .. if u want to play solo .. this is the only way to be able to play effectively.. u can set Walls on Hotkey 1 and Repairs on 2 .. merc alch on 3 ..  

and u can access ur hero via f1 ofc .. 

U can check your walls hp when pressing f1 .. without having to move the camera .. also pretty useful to upgrade units rightaway .. without having to reselect everytime .. thats pretty much it concerning this Basic thingy :P   :) ..

Queuing Commands
Assigning waypoints and queuing commands are effectively the same thing. To queue commands, hold down the Shift button, and issue commands to the unit, clicking on the mini-map or on the main screen. When you have issued all your commands, release the Shift key. Each unit is capable of queuing several commands at once singly or when group selected. You can queue most commands such as left-clicking, right-clicking, Stop, Attack, Hold Position, Move, Patrol, and Load/Unload. There is a limited number of commands that can be queued-- you will receive a message indicating when you have reached that Queue limit.

okay. . queuing commands is important when ur building mills .. between transmutes .. also it's extremely useful at game start while building factories .. also u can que .. Blinks / buildings / movements .. 

Anyway 

Hope this was useful :) .. 

Regards 

Oufo 

Also .. u can Check this .. for rest of stuff .. cuz dnt think they would be that useful .. but anyway :) have fun 
http://classic.battl...lcommands.shtml

• Nevo likes this

#2 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:41 AM

important note: changing build menu will destroy the remaining orders in queue for the builder. (we actually remove the unit from the game and give you a whole new one)

I don't want any more bug reports on that, it's a direct consequence of implementation and no way in hell are we going to redo that.

• Nevo likes this

#3 oufo

oufo

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

ya.. forgot to mention that.. but u can que the menu changing as the last thing .. so after all actions are complete ur unit will just change menu and pause

#4 TheDwarfLard

TheDwarfLard

Praise the Sun!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

I know this wasn't designed for people who have been playing for a while, but shouldn't people understand the basic controls before moving to multi-player (normal and custom maps). IMO, it'd be a little easier to get started. Must admit I didn't know about queue building until playing FS (learned it a few months ago).

#5 That_Girl

That_Girl

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

Question. Am i the only person who uses the building hotkeys instead of clicking on the build picture an then selecting your building ? Because what i just do, I set the build keys into macro's on my mouse. So if i press 3 on my mouse that will go B then L for me. Anthen ill be able to place down my lumber mills and i make my numpad 7 key my number 1 key on my mouse so ill just put my mills in the top right of my inventory then i can just press 1 and place down my mills. Its fast and easy takes some time getting used to though. Easier with a mouse with lots of buttons like the Razer Naga ^_^

#6 123HELLO

123HELLO

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

...your mouse has numbers? I feel like I shouldn't be surprised that coming from a super donator >.>

On a more serious note would having a miss rate while attacking something on higher ground go onto this topic? If so could mister Waffle please explain more on this.

#7 That_Girl

That_Girl

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

123Hello, The miss rate applies to everything even if a building was on higher ground you would still get the miss chance if im not mistaken, And its apart of the game so im sure its apart of the map also.

• Waffle(est) and Zer0o like this

#8 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:12 AM

no.. we cant see the relevancy..

nor is it apparent what is the point you are trying to make..

... proof read before you post pls.. at its current state that post is just wasted space :(

#9 oufo

oufo

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

i will remove that post .. 

#10 123HELLO

123HELLO

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

Well Google says: 

High Ground
Ranged units (Missile) will miss a lot (25% chance to miss) when trying to shoot up to higher ground.

Does still apply to FS? I don't really recall a lot of misses last I played. Then again I don't really care about the small details.

#11 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

i think it does.. but i haven't verified it..

#12 TheDwarfLard

TheDwarfLard

Praise the Sun!

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Well Google says: 

High Ground
Ranged units (Missile) will miss a lot (25% chance to miss) when trying to shoot up to higher ground.

Does still apply to FS? I don't really recall a lot of misses last I played. Then again I don't really care about the small details.

I just tested it out: my units never missed when shooting enemies on higher ground. It's one of three things: it's what I just stated, the elevation difference wasn't enough, or this needed difference isn't obtainable (or hard to get) in any of the bases.

#13 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

did you actually look at target HP when faced with 1 ranged unit at lower elevation?

or did u look for Missed messages? cuz lack of messages is meaningless (it is just a special effect of the evasion ability)

#14 TheDwarfLard

TheDwarfLard

Praise the Sun!

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

I looked at both, units weren't missing. Suppose that small possibility is still out there, like that I missed one miss and that's all I needed.

#15 WeekendWorld

WeekendWorld

Private

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

another tip: if you select a wrong structure, you can remove her holding shift and clicking on her.

#16 polo

polo

Private 2

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

important note: changing build menu will destroy the remaining orders in queue for the builder. (we actually remove the unit from the game and give you a whole new one)

I don't want any more bug reports on that, it's a direct consequence of implementation and no way in hell are we going to redo that.

you could solve all those complains  by giving us 2 workers   :ph34r:   

#17 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:09 AM

that would kind of contradict the FS lore : "You are lone survivor who finds an abandoned fortress and decides this is a good spot to fortify while waiting for help" thus why 1 builder per player is a fundamental aspect and will never be changed. 

If you were to say find a script to take the orders from one unit and transfer them to another we would be more than happy to implement them. :) ( i would personally fix it up, i have yet to find a reasonable way to do this. but it stands to reason it is possible in principle.)

#18 Nevo

Nevo

Webmaster

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

We much prefer the concept of having one Builder rather than two and remaking the builder menu system isn't something on our to-do list. (Even if Warcraft III originally didn't support this and as a result we have to use two units).

#19 123HELLO

123HELLO

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

"You are lone survivor who finds an abandoned fortress and decides this is a good spot to fortify while waiting for help"

What the... where does this come from? The entire thing is faulty. You are not lone its like a 10 player game. Theres 1-10 survivors. The fortress is not abandoned theres an entire army of fortress defenders. Or they came with you which makes the lone survivor even more faulty. Then theres the WHERE TEH **** do all these player owned mercs and heroes come from.

#20 Waffle(est)

Waffle(est)

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

hmm..

you're right.. we should totally get rid of all em fortress defenders that are barely useful at all and add some more creepy stuff :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users