Photo

New building suggestion

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TheFilthyRat

TheFilthyRat

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Bookshelves are a building in Fortress survival that are certainly useful to some degree. With that being said I feel like there are a few changes that need to be made to bookshelves in general. In my opinion Trying to rush 8 bookshelves early is completely useless ( say trying to push 8 bookshelves at around the 40 minute mark ) Because by trying to rush shelves early on your risking alot by not lumbering which is hurting your defences a lot. In total even if you start shelfing at the 40 minute mark its going to take you at least 5 minutes or more to push 8 bookshelves which is hurting your lumber a lot and putting your walls at risk as well as setting your entire defensive scheme back. Heres why trying to rush 8 bookshelves is worthless. By lumbering granted you know what your doing you will generate more than enough lumber by the time you get to the point where you really need Holy blessing, Robotics, godseal walls. At that point you can just use your Surplus of lumber to buy gold and then buy all the books you need to get All 3 end-game upgrades. To do that you need only 1 bookshelf, therefore rushing 8 bookshelves is worthless. With that being said, I've seen plenty of players rush bookshelves and I feel like they should be getting a bigger reward because of the risk their taking. I would love to continue using my 1 bookshelf strategy but I still feel like there needs to be a change.

Heres my proposition. By building 8 lumber mills around a vendor a new building is formed either a library or a research center. Ideally both the library or research center should still give you the same benefits 8 shelves would give so Book and tome generation but each depending on which is seen as a better idea would have its own unique purpose. So maybe the library could increase book/tome generation ( other suggestions if you have them on the other passive perks of the library or other suggestions in general ) While also giving you access to a new unit so say a scribe.... the scribe would have something cool it did and would be a requirement for you to purchase a new piece of equipment at the vendor. or the library by itself can give you acess to purchase a new piece of equipment. If it was a research center... same thing It would provide the passive bonus of 8 bookshelves and say give you access to make a scientist which makes you eligible to either buy a new peice of equipment maybe make a new building and possibly other stuff. Obviously by rushing 8 bookshelves a library or a research center would need to give players who rush it an advantage with players who delay it a disadvantage or something along those lines...

This is a new idea I thought of and I would definitely love some feedback on how this idea can be expanded or improved. I feel like rushing bookshelves should be a legitimate strategy that provides early game and endgame rewards/perks. This idea also provides room for additional upgrades to be obtained through books if any are thought of but if anything at least this can give people who decide to rush it all 3 endgame upgrades ideally before trojan but other book upgrades would be nice to see as well. Also like I said this can be a nice transition into making for early game equipment/items for heros so not something like BL but something that would give your hero a little boost within the first half of the game. But please leave your thoughts/suggestions on this idea. Thanks

#2 That_Girl

That_Girl

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

I either rush 8 books for 2 reasons 1. To get more tomes earlier on for my hero 2. To sell my normal books and tomes for lumber to give me a minor lumber boost. I never actually save the books for the 3 upgrades since ill just buy the books at the end so this is a good idea give players more options and different game strategy. Maybe the library has a chance to randomly spawn different tomes for example after like 2 mins of building it a tome pops into it and it could be more wall hp or faster repair rate for bots and/or units and other little fun things that could help you out or get bad luck and even give you something bad and you wont know the tome effect until you click on it and use it just my 2 cents.

#3 Waffle

Waffle

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

I definitely think you are not giving bookshelves enough credit.

6% chance to spawn a tome of knowledge.. so you can triple your hero's attack for free +attack speed ,mana ,all the attributes..
+ you can sell the books to compensate somewhat for missed mill production (will not debate about the price here..)
granted 1lvl7 worth of mills would be nice before you get them. but then lumber will not be whats holding you back anyway.

Edited by Waffle, 22 March 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#4 TheFilthyRat

TheFilthyRat

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

@ waffel. The point is, your not getting enough reward for the time you taking up by pushing 8 bookshelves. Yes you have the option to sell the books but if thats your plan you might as well stick strictly to lumbering because by the point you start building shelves its going to take you awhile to start profiting from selling books. and depending on the amount of mills you have at the point you start aiming for 8 shelves you will probably fall behind on teching your income and your walls. In addition, most of the smaller 2 wall bases are not going to have anymore for 8 shelves anyways granted you try and get 2 level 7s. And in the end the early stat gains you get from shelving is going to neglibible when you consider the fact that your hero is just 1 single unit and that ultimate abilities are not affected by stat gain. As for attack speed you can easily cap your attack speed at 400 % by strictly lumbering and going with 3 black larcenies. Making the 1 shelf strategy in my opionion must more effective

#5 englocked

englocked

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Waffle @ Mar 22 2013, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I definitely think you are not giving bookshelves enough credit.

6% chance to spawn a tome of knowledge.. so you can triple your hero's attack for free +attack speed ,mana ,all the attributes..
+ you can sell the books to compensate somewhat for missed mill production (will not debate about the price here..)
granted 1lvl7 worth of mills would be nice before you get them. but then lumber will not be whats holding you back anyway.

Agreed except that agi no longer increases attack speed.

I think getting 8 bookshelves is still a pretty good strategy choice. Probably the best unless you're using alchemist as hero.

#6 TheFilthyRat

TheFilthyRat

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

It's possbile that I'm not giving shelves in their current state enough credit. I've been using the 1 bookshelf strategy and its given me no problems on NM air/invis. The main reason I went to the 1 shelf strategy is because I like to play in small bases that do not have enough room to fit 8 shelves

#7 Waffle

Waffle

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

You got a point there... no way to minify bookshelves like you can mills.

#8 AcediaPH

AcediaPH

Forum Spammer

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:40 AM

Already added in fsa :D. And a great suggestion too :D

#9 ReD

ReD

Forum Spammer

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:43 AM

LOVE it! :P

#10 Jem

Jem

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:14 AM

LOVE it! :P

Did you read it all?

#11 ReD

ReD

Forum Spammer

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:15 AM

Did you read it all?

yes

#12 Jem

Jem

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:40 AM

yes

Make sure you understand it.

#13 AcediaPH

AcediaPH

Forum Spammer

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:43 AM

Hahaha I think ReD didn't understand it xD

#14 ReD

ReD

Forum Spammer

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:43 AM

Make sure you understand it.

LOl

#15 AcediaPH

AcediaPH

Forum Spammer

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

Understanding is not important... Posting is important xD

#16 ReD

ReD

Forum Spammer

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:40 AM

Understanding is not important... Posting is important xD

hahahaha

#17 AcediaPH

AcediaPH

Forum Spammer

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

Why you laughing? Its not even funny ^_^

#18 ReD

ReD

Forum Spammer

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:50 AM

Why you laughing? Its not even funny ^_^

but its funny to me  :D

#19 AcediaPH

AcediaPH

Forum Spammer

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

Then laugh until you get sick so you won't be able to make 500 posts xD. LOL. just kidding. PEACEEEE :bd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users