Photo

Diagonal Walls

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 CarboCation

CarboCation

Private 2

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could upload a screen showing how to properly build a diagonal wall. I'm under the impression that straight walls are more effective because there is less exposed space for monsters to hit. Also can't monsters hit the repair drones through diagonal walls?

#2 Zer0o

Zer0o

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

These 4 are the most efficient wink.gif

#3 CarboCation

CarboCation

Private 2

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the screens, but in the bottom one can't monsters hit the little repair bots through the space between the walls when you have them in there? Also is there any way to build 3 repair buildings per wall in a diagonal formation?

#4 Bigheaded

Bigheaded

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (CarboCation @ Apr 20 2012, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the screens, but in the bottom one can't monsters hit the little repair bots through the space between the walls when you have them in there? Also is there any way to build 3 repair buildings per wall in a diagonal formation?

correct on first point. Doing a corner to corner build will cause a weakness that one of the 2 repair bots in there can get attacked, the other will only be hit by ranged and when it spazzes around if it's on autorepair.

As for 3 repair buildings, it's not really available, also would mean you lack the extra repair bots, seeing they would die as it's using a direct diagnol formation. But yes, is theoretically possible. Try it in the bottom right.
I wouldnt use it though. Basically in all situations it uses to many walls or provides inadequate defense.

For Zer0o's 2nd image, it is weak. This shows why:

So the crossed out barricade is the weak point. It only has one repair building and 2 bots to repair it. Also it is the most likely to be attacked wall in this blockade. Due to these points, in my opinion, this defense will not work against trojan.

this is how it should look, notice the similarity to zer0o's first image. I do not use repair bots right next to the walls, as ranged will destroy them 90% of the time.

So to show you how strong it is by numbers:
So each green dot is a safe location for a bot. The red dots are unsafe locations for bots.
I have crossed out two repairer's. These are usually going to get killed by ranged mobs, go for them if you want.
The numbers show the amount of safe locations for repairer's (bots and buildings) which are supporting those walls. This shows this base has a minimum of 5 repairers per wall and a decent layout of the walls without any of them really "sticking out"

Here's a challenge for you. Come up with a defense for the bottom left with the barrels, top right exit.
As far as i can tell, the solution is: a LOT of walls.

This is the standard one, you will notice that in the majority of games, it is this side which will break first.

I've also crossed off the 2 repair buildings which will be killed 99% of the time by ranged. Also the 4 repair bots which go in front of those 2 repair buildings are also usually targetted by range. This is due to it's close proximity

This is my solution:

Again, numbers show how many bots/buildings are repairing, green dots are safe locations for bots (i.e can only be hit by ranged).
The most targetted wall has 5! repairer's on it, still this isn't particularly strong, but given the amount of walls they can attack, this is often not a problem. the two 3's are so hard to access by mobs that 3 possible repairers is more than enough, you could probably keep them as gold walls throughout and never lose them.

The best solution is likely to use energy walls to draw fire from repair buildings. I find adding one to either side of the "standard" build simply doesnt work though.

I would be a lot happier defending with my version rather than the "no repairer standard version"

#5 Zer0o

Zer0o

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

Agreed wink.gif

My solution for the bottom left wall:

1 of the little repair bots at "4" could be killed by ranged pretty fast, but that doesn't happen so often when theres a wall or tower + another repair bot right next to it:

The tower (or wall) is repaired by 4 repair bots, so ranged creeps can't destroy it.

#6 Nevo

Nevo

Webmaster

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (Zer0o @ Apr 21 2012, 06:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed wink.gif

My solution for the bottom left wall:

1 of the little repair bots at "4" could be killed by ranged pretty fast, but that doesn't happen so often when theres a wall or tower + another repair bot right next to it:

The tower (or wall) is repaired by 4 repair bots, so ranged creeps can't destroy it.

That base must die, it is a complete failure and will be removed! tongue.gif

#7 Zer0o

Zer0o

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

I hope so wink.gif
I never understood why the walls are made of barrels O.o

#8 CarboCation

CarboCation

Private 2

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for all the screenies, I'm trying to make a base in one of the rooms with the wide open corners (Trojan proof of course).

#9 Nevo

Nevo

Webmaster

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (Zer0o @ Apr 21 2012, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope so wink.gif
I never understood why the walls are made of barrels O.o

I always wanted to see what kind of base you could make with those... xD

#10 Zer0o

Zer0o

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (иэvo @ Apr 21 2012, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always wanted to see what kind of base you could make with those... xD

Nice xD

#11 Revol

Revol

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

mind if i play around with other doodads in that corner / the open space? i might get some cool ideas after i wake from the dead tonight

#12 Niwa

Niwa

Master Suicidalist

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Revol @ Apr 25 2012, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mind if i play around with other doodads in that corner / the open space? i might get some cool ideas after i wake from the dead tonight

Go right ahead *is expecting something extraordinary* You better get rid of all the barrels too tongue.gif

#13 Jem

Jem

Dedicated Survivor

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

Nice models, they are really helpful!

#14 ReD

ReD

Forum Spammer

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

Nice models, they are really helpful!

what model?